Mastering the concept of cool is one of those enigmatic pursuits that can take a lifetime to wrap your head around. But really, who can wait that long? You’ve got places to go and people to see! So, that leaves you with one logical solution: Fake it till you make it. Here’s your ultimate guide on how to style cool outfits any day of the week, in 10 easy steps.
1. First things first: Buy yourself a classic leather jacket. No bells or whistles, no fancy colors. It should look like you either bought it vintage or swiped it from your ex.
2. Kick off your stilettos in favor of menswear-inspired mules, brogues and ankle boots. High heels are overrated in this crowd.
3. Bury your hair straightener for good! Messy bedhead isn’t a suggestion; it’s a requirement.
4. Never wear one designer from head to toe. Mix high and low, menswear and womenswear. If you look like a vintage magpie, you’re doing something right.
5. Denim is a cool outfit staple, so you’ll want to stock up. Make sure you have a relaxed jean jacket (nothing cropped or fitted), cutoff shorts, a chambray shirt and a pile of blue and black jeans in straight leg, skinny or boyfriend cuts.
6. For the ultimate cool outfits, learn to style classic clothes in new ways. Tuck in an unbuttoned oxford, flip your shirt around backward, pair unexpected colors..
7. Take your hat game to the next level. But before you go crazy, study up on what shapes look the best with your face. If you don’t know how to wear a hat, the hat will wear you.
8. Lose your obsession with It bags. Cool girls could care less. Instead, go with a nondescript black clutch, a basic carryall or something vintage.
9. Anchor your cool outfits in neutral colors, like black, gray, white, camel and navy. Add in pops of color sparingly and strategically, like in a statement coat.
10. Most importantly, forget about what’s popular on the runway. Wear what inspires you! Cool girls don’t follow trends. They set them.
Read more at thefashionspot.com